The Bishop, California Bigfoot Campsite Killings

Estimated reading time: 2 minutes, 18 seconds

In 1980-1981, I was working as a security guard on a high-tension tower project here in California. I met a man who was a “cat skinner” operating a bulldozer, leveling off the pads where each of these high tension towers was to be placed. I noted he had on his pickup truck, 25-30 decals from places he had been hunting and introduced myself.

During the conversation I mentioned ‘bigfoot’ and he told me that in the mid to late 1970’s he was doing a little poaching (with the Forestry Official’s permission in a locked and gated area near Bishop, California, they had given him a key so he could go in any time he wanted).” This particular time the gate was still locked (as it always was); he let himself in with his 4-wheel drive pickup to the area known as Four Points.

He drove over a hill and there to his surprise were Department of the Interior vehicles and Bureau of Land Management men all in their “Smokey The Bear” outfits (with guns) searching a campground, the hills, mountains, roads, etc. They grabbed this hunter, took his deer rifle away from him and questioned him for 7-8 hours as to what he was doing there.

The local forestry officials identified him as a trusted friend and he was let go, but told to “never come back.” He had determined during his interrogation that the reason the BLM and Dept of Interior were there in force was that a Bigfoot creature had gone through there the day before and had torn up the campground; had turned over a “large” trash container (of the type you find behind large department stores – dumpsters), that no man can even begin to move and had killed several people.

Then in early to middle 1991, a young student also interested in investigating the Bigfoot mystery, called the C.B.F.O.’s hotline to tell me that he had heard that story several years ago and it had “always” stuck with him. He went on to relate that when he was doing some Bigfoot research in the town of Bishop, California (Inyo County), area in 1989-90 he met a former policeman who said that he was on the Bishop police force in the mid to late 1970’s. The student related the foregoing story of Bigfoot to the ex-police officer from Bishop, and he confirmed it. The officer said the story was the talk of the law enforcement agencies in that area at the time, but they were under very tight orders not to say anything about the incident and the related deaths.


Report by the late Rich Grumley, (1935 – 2000) former Director of the CBFO – California Bigfoot Organization.

He has been interested in the paranormal since he was 11yrs old. He has had many experiences with both ghosts and UFO's and it has just solidified his beliefs. He set up this site to catalogue as much information about the paranormal in one location. He is the oldest of three and moved from the UK to the USA in 2001.